Thursday, July 30, 2009

I have VERY LITTLE experience in C# using Microsoft Visual Studio! I want to go with linux!?

I heard about this Mono thing and they say that is a C# for Linux! Where Do i download the Compiler from and I want to know if the language has the same syntax as C#! Is an application in Mono compatible with Windows XP?


pls answer

I have VERY LITTLE experience in C# using Microsoft Visual Studio! I want to go with linux!?
I don't mean to be insulting, but is Google not working for you?


http://www.google.com/search?q=mono





The *first* result gets you what you want. You are expected to do your own reading, as a programmer. Learn to Google and *read* the materials.





%26gt; I heard about this Mono thing and they say that is a C# for Linux!


Sort of. The C# specifications are open. So it is possible to try and recreate them on Linux, to an extent. C# is very much tied to Microsoft and Windows though, so if you really want to work with C#, it's not going to be on Linux.





%26gt; Where Do i download the Compiler from


The first google result.





%26gt; I want to know if the language has the same syntax as C#


Yes. It only goes up to C# .NET 1.0, while Microsoft is on 2.0.





%26gt; Is an application in Mono compatible with Windows XP?


Not completely. To an extent you can write compatible apps, but I don't think any serious programmer would bet on cross-portability. Look through the Mono site for a more detailed explanation.





If you want C# like code on Linux, Mono is the way to go. But it isn't anywhere near as nice as C# on Windows.
Reply:Yes mono programs written in Linux works with XP as well. I have written code in MONO and it works cross platform. I have put below the link to the Mono project.


No comments:

Post a Comment